Thursday, November 06, 2008

My Favorite Things

I've been spending some time in the Virtual Labs on Etsy lately, and one of the things that thrills me about this is the opportunity to interact with so many different sellers with such unique talents and points of view. So here are a few of my favorite things.

Kate of Organic Odysseys uses her organic farm for both inspiration and raw materials.

She uses polymer clay to capture in minute detail the nuances of the plant, then finishes each piece by hand through a process of firing, sanding, and painting. I don't entirely understand it, but the results are breathtaking.



This is one of her latest. (Pic above, or click on "this" to go to her shop) I find the delicacy and detail astonishing. Not to mention that I can't get over how cool it is that she's taking impressions from an actual plant, and making jewelry out of it! To me, is seems that she has captured my passion for the earth in jewelry -- really, what could be more magical than that?

I fell in love with these from the moment I saw them:



I love the way she's used the bronze to highlight the detail of the tomato, then used the green to add a "patina". And I especially love that the back of the earring is an impression of the tomato leaf!

You can also read her blog to find out more about how and why she does this! And you should see the things she does with tiny little eggplant (which, as you may have guessed from my previous entries, I am in love with.)

Another seller I found during this same lab is Livia, known as SmallPaintings on etsy. Her work is so charming and whimsical. Wouldn't this be so sweet in a childs bedroom?




Another that I love is Wild. It's like she knows how I feel inside, takes the secret magical parts, and paints them. I would love to hang this in my studio.



She's also done some beautiful children's books, and you can see more of her work on her website:

By the way, I asked both of these wonderful sellers for permission to post photos of their work and to link to them.

And in case anyone out there drew my name for Christmas this year -- yes, I would love anything from either of these shops!

3 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks so much for blogging about my art, I am deeply touched! I just found it today, I still am trying to get the hang of the blogs, I have tried to 'follow' your blog but not sure yet if I am! I am more of a material girl than a computer geek so it takes me awhile to catch on! Either way, your blog is beautiful and so are your newest pieces! I fully understand your picture frustration. I am still struggling with my old fixed lens Sony Mavica. Trying not to have to buy a new camera right now, maybe after a few more sales! I can't believe you got all those things done on the weekend! You must have been real busy! Congrats! doesn't it feel good though!

kate

km said...

Thanks Kate! I love that we have the same initials, although it is confusing sometimes. I'm really enjoying following your shop, too!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you...
I love that you are collaborating with other artists, sharing... doing the Gaia thing (all is one baby!). I feel like your products are more inspired every day. Sending you GOOD JUJU. xoxo
b