Friday, January 08, 2016

Happy New Year!

I know a lot of people make resolutions this time of year, and I swore to myself that I wouldn't make resolutions. They're always the same, and I never seem to make them realistic or specific enough to accomplish them.

Instead, I'm making one resolution this year: to be kind to myself.

In theory, being kind to myself could be construed to cover all of the other resolutions I might make. You could say that, to be kind to myself, I would lose weight to improve my health and comfort. You could say that cleaning the kitchen daily would make me feel better about my home. You could say that having a consistent yoga practice would be kind to my body, and watching less TV would be kind to my creativity. You could say all of that, and you would be right, for the most part. But really, I beat up on myself too much, so I don't want to make resolutions that I'm just going to berate myself for not keeping.

I'm just going to be kind to myself.

I'm still going to make some goals. Simple things, like knitting something for myself, experimenting on my new loom, and learning how to use a DSLR.

I'm going to make some business goals, too, like getting a certain amount of things listed on etsy, getting a resellers license in CA, and refreshing my branding.

But if I don't get all of that accomplished, or if I don't accomplish it in quite the way I imagined, or with the perfection I demand from myself, I'm going to try to remind myself that my only resolution this year is to be kind to myself. And instead of berating myself for not accomplishing a "resolution", maybe I'll go get some ice cream. Or go for a walk. Or call someone who makes me feel good about myself. Or eat a bowl of cereal and binge-watch The Gilmore Girls.

That's it. That's all. Just be kind to myself.

Be kind to yourself, too.

No comments: