Friday, July 04, 2008

ellaluna: Improving Home Improvement

Goddess forbid I ever live anywhere without trying to muscle my way in and change things around!

So I'm living with my friend J for a bit, and decided that her closets needed some sprucing up. I think you can see why. Here's the closet before:

Well, that's not so much a "before" as it is a "right after I knocked out the useless shelf and clothes rod." But you get the idea.

One of J's big complaints was that 30% of the closet is essentially inaccessible, because it's behind a wall. So we designed some narrow shelving that allows a person to step inside and turn to the deeper shelving behind the wall. Maybe a pic would explain that better!

In this pic I'm experimenting with supports for the narrow shelving. I wasn't too happy with the supports you see running down the center, at the corner where the narrow shelves meet the deeper shelves, because it doesn't really allow access to the deeper shelves. I ended up running a support along the wall, under the deep shelves, that extends out to the narrow shelves, and then putting supports at the front on the right of the narrow shelves and in the center along the wall.

Again, that doesn't make a lot of sense, so let's see if I have a picture:

All righty, so this is before I added the narrow shelves, but you can see the support that juts out from the deeper shelves. The reason I didn't want to put a support running the entire length of the narrow shelves is that they are pretty shallow, designed primarily for CD's and DVD's, so we didn't want to take up space with a long, fat, 1x4 support.

On the other side of the closet, I built a double clothes rod, a shorter length of clothes rod for hanging long stuff (there is another closet, so hanging longer things isn't really a priority in this one) and a few extra shelves above. Like this:

Gee, to look at this picture you would think I was photographing all the junk ON the shelf. I think I know someone who needs to learn how to take a picture. (That would be ME)

When I look at this, I think two things. 1) I can't believe I did it! 2) I can't believe it took me the better part of a week to do it! We did have to borrow a circular saw for the weekend to cut everything, but once the weekend was over the saw went back, and any additional cute I had to make (primarily for supports) I had to do by hand with a hacksaw or coping saw. I had a reciprocating saw as well but those things are monsters, not so great for precision cutting as I discovered to my dismay.

All in all I was pretty happy with the finished product. Now if only I could get her to put things away in it...

No comments: